- Have your septic system inspected and pumped if necessary, every 3-7 years. The time between pumping depends on the number of people in the home, how much water is being used, and if there is a garbage disposal in use.
- Keep surface water away from Septic Tank and Leach field.
- Remove trees where roots may penetrate and damage leach field.
- Call Southern Ohio Septic Services, Inc. immediately if you have any problems or questions with your septic system.
- Pour grease, oil, paints, solvents, drain cleaners or household chemicals down the drain.
- Use your garbage disposal as a waste can, use it conservatively.
- Kill the beneficial bacteria in your septic system by rinsing pesticides, herbicides or other toxins down the drain.
- Dispose of non-biodegradable items in your toilet like cigarette butts, tissues, diapers, feminine hygiene products, cat box litter, coffee grounds or cotton swabs.
- Let water run when doing dishes, brushing teeth or thawing food, and consider limiting flushes.
- Run half full loads in the dishwasher or washing machine and be sure to stagger wash loads. Do One a day versus 5 on Saturday.